We sure do love eggs in our home but let’s face it, eggs can get pretty boring when eaten day in and day out. I feel blessed that Andrew loves eggs but Mama needs to incorporate variety so he doesn’t get tired of eating every day. The last thing I need is for him to stop liking eggs! I tried to fix him soaked oatmeal but he wouldn’t have any of it. So funny because he used to eat it up!
So what’s a Mama to do? Switch it up and make baked oatmeal and sweeten it with real maple syrup, applesauce and cinnamon of course!
The base for this recipe comes from Kelly the Kitchen Kop’s baked oatmeal recipe but I changed a few things to my family’s liking.
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal
- 1 cup organic thick rolled oats (where to buy)
- 1 cup organic rye oats (where to buy)
- 2 cups water
- 2 TBL raw apple cider vinegar (where to buy)
- 4 pastured eggs
- 1/2 cup melted virgin coconut oil (where to buy)
- 1/2 cup real maple syrup (where to buy)
- 1 cup organic applesauce (watch the ingredient list)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt (where to buy)
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder (where to buy)
- Place oats, water and apple cider vinegar in a large bowl. Mix well and cover for at least 12 hours (24 is best)
- Once the oats are done soaking, in a separate bowl add eggs, coconut oil and maple syrup and beat until all are combined
- Add in cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt and baking powder. Mix really well (you could use a hand mixer if easier)
- Stir in a cup of applesauce until everything is combined
- Pour into a glass baking dish
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes
To make this ahead of time: Follow steps 1-5 (do this the night before you plan to bake the oatmeal). Place a cover on glass baking dish and set in the refrigerator. In the morning, just set the temperature and place pre-mixed oatmeal in the oven to bake!