Scott, Andrew and I went up to my Auntie Paula’s lakehouse for the first time this past weekend. We were definitely in need of a little getaway. It was soo beautiful and serene- the house was nestled on the side of the mountain over looking the whole valley and lake. Needless to say, when Sunday came around, NONE of us wanted to leave.
We spent most of the weekend relaxing indoors because it was so hot! We did head down to the lake Saturday afternoon to spend some time in the water and on the boat. Our trip was short because Andrew wasn’t really digging it- we think it was too hot outside and the water was too cold for him. So we headed back to the house and started cooking up some dinner. Fish taco’s were on the menu that night. We had cheese, avocado, fresh grilled halibut, sour cream and homemade fresh salsa. It was so delicious and turned out amazing. Paula kept raving about the salsa so I figured I would dedicate this blog to it. This is the salsa I used at Andrew’s birthday party.
Summer is coming and it’s always refreshing have some homemade salsa at hand on a hot day. The best part is it doesn’t take long to make and is made with all fresh ingredients. You could compare this salsa to a pico de gallo salsa. Remember to try to use all organic, local ingredients if you can.
- 7-8 Roma tomatoes (you can use any kind of tomato but I found these to be a little firmer and work better in the recipe)
- 2 jalapenos, seeded (unless you like it spicy)
- juice of 1-2 limes
- half a white onion
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- unrefined sea salt to taste
- ⅓ bunch of fresh cilantro or parsley
- Cut the tomatoes into small cubes. **The key to this salsa is to make sure the tomatoes aren't cut into big chunks- the smaller the better
- Cut the jalapenos in half and remove seeds. If you like spicy salsa, keep the seeds
- Take half of an onion and dice very finely- if you have a food processor you can add the onion in and pulse a few times
- Peel garlic cloves and dice- If you have a food processor you can add the garlic in with the onion and pulse a few times
- Chop cilantro
- Take all of your prepped ingredients and put into a big bowl
- Add fresh lime juice to salsa
- Add salt to taste
- Mix everything together with a spoon and serve :)
You can enjoy the salsa with some tortilla chips that have a good ingredient label or you can add to any dish.