This is part 2 of the Toxic Free DIY Mini Series. So far we’ve learned how to make a sugar scrub.
I love making my own products! I know what is going in them by doing it myself. Conventional shampoos contain harmful chemicals. They strip your hair of its own natural oils. I have even used so called “good” shampoo and it gives me such a dry scalp. I have made coconut milk shampoo and that has worked great, but I love herbs! I wanted to make an herbal shampoo. Now, it doesn’t look pretty but it works. Both the coconut milk shampoo and this herbal shampoo do not cause dry scalp for me.
I want to give forewarning; shampoos that you make yourself do not lather well. Just know that they will clean your hair. I have also heard people complain that their hair is too oily after trying DIY shampoos. That is because the hair is used to being stripped of its natural oils and it thinks that it needs to keep producing a lot of oil. It will get used to your new routine. Be patient.
This recipe was inspired by Life Source
Herbal Shampoo Recipe
- 1 c. distilled water (ensures there’s no bacteria being added to it)
- 2 tsp. dried rosemary (find it here)
- 2 tsp. dried rose petals (find it here)
- 1/4 c. liquid castile soap (find it here)
- 3 T. pure aloe vera gel (find it here)
- 1/8 tsp. jojoba oil (find it here)
- 35 drops rosemary essential oil (find it here)
- Place the rosemary and rose petals in a jar.
- Fill the jar with boiling water, place a lid over the jar and let steep for at least 30 minutes or until the liquid is cool.
- Strain the herbs and place the liquid in a shampoo bottle or jar of your choosing.
- Add the castile soap, aloe vera gel, jojoba oil and essential oil.
- Shake well. Remember to shake the shampoo each time before you use it.
The shampoo should last for several weeks. If it takes you longer to use it, you might want to consider refrigerating it to prolong its shelf life. I like to rinse my hair with a mixture of apple cider vinegar and water. I added a few drops of rosemary and lavender essential oil to it also.
It is so much better for yourself and your hair if you make your own shampoo! The big companies that are making shampoos don’t care that the chemicals they are putting in are toxic to our bodies. As long as we keep buying it, they will keep making it. Let’s show them that we don’t want to be toxic! Make your own!
Stay tuned for next week’s Lotion Bar recipe!
Guest posted by Heather Kallimani by Rockin the Green Life
This post is part of: Thank Goodness Its Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Fat Tuesdays, Family Table Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays, Traditional Tuesdays, Healthy Tuesdays, Titus 2sday, Tasteful Tuesday, Backyard Farming Connection, Teach Me Tuesdays, Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays, Gathering Spot, Hearth and Soul Hop, Tasty Tuesday, Tutorial Tuesday, Tuned-In Tuesday, EcoKids Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Wildcrafting Wednesdays, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, Party Wave Wednesdays, Homemaking Linkup, Fresh Food Wednesday, Whole Food Wednesdays, The Mommy Club