Those memes really meant it when they said chickens are like potato chips and you can’t just have one.
Considering my track record with how I have a hard time not finishing a bag of potato chips to myself (especially when paired with my homemade french onion dip), chickens could be considered dangerous territory.
But have you seen how cute and fluffy and cheep cheepy chicks are?! It’s hard to resist when you have grown chickens and you see the little ones in the feed store. You know, that same feed store you went into because you needed an extra waterer and feeder but then came out with four brand new baby chicks and the extra waterer and feeder.
The struggle is real my friends.
I thought it was fitting to write a post called You Might Be a Crazy Chicken Lady If… so you have something solid to reference in case you’re contemplating whether or not you really did cross over to the fluffy butt side.
1. You walk into the store for a feeder and come out with four baby chicks and the feeder.
2. You drive two hours round trip for two specific breeds of chicks so you can have the dark chocolate eggs you fantasize having. They don’t taste any different but it makes your collection of eggs that much prettier.
3. You make your husband build a mini chicken coop in a day to house your new 8 week old chicks.
4. You realize you have 8 grown chickens out in the coop, 2 eight week old chicks in a separate coop within the coop, and 4 one week old chicks in your office.
5. You day dream of having acres of property so you can have ALL the chickens.
6. You know each of your chickens own personal egg song AND squawks.
7. The sound of baby cheeps makes your heart melt.
8. Your friends have told you that you are obsessed.
9. You could sit for hours watching your chickens.
10. You hang out with your 2 week old chicks and when you leave the room, you’re convinced their looking for you because of how loud and high pitched their cheeps are. You know this because, duh, you’re the chicken whisperer.
11. Your husband feels like every weekend he is working on a project related to the chickens to make them more comfortable.
Those are all the ways I think I might be a crazy chicken lady but don’t take it from me, I decided to ask my flock of crazy chicken lady peeps on my Facebook page and these were your responses:
12. Someone writes a letter to the editor about allowing backyard chickens….and multiple people assume it was you. — Kayla H.
13. You feed your chickens breakfast before you’ve had your coffee. — Tracy G.
14. The neighbours laugh hysterically at you because you have 15 chickens following you everywhere. — Regan C.
15. You have a certificate from the county extension office saying you are a “Certified Chick Master” after taking a class to teach life cycles and how to hatch chicks in school. — Jennifer I.
16. Every time your husband goes out of town you think about adding new chickens to your flock. — Anne W.
17. You see an ad for someone selling 3 chicken, you buy them, and transport them 400 miles to your mother (lives in the country) who has no clue she is about to become a chicken owner. Then you enjoy the chickens through your mother. Someday you plan to get our own piece of country and flock of hens. — Andrea C.
18. You don’t even own chickens and you are still The Crazy Chicken Lady. — Gina M.
19. You have a chicken with a sore leg – so it spends a week inside your house and decide it would rather live with us and the dogs than be out with the other chickens again. — Princess S.
20. You keep a sick rooster in a play pen in your living room. — Shelly F.
21. My favorite stress relief is to go have a snack with my girls. I eat the strawberry bottoms and they get the tops. And every kids play set I see I start thinking about where to attach chicken wire to turn it into a coop. — Beth T.
22. You might be a crazy chicken lady when you’ve contemplated calling out to work because it’s hatch day and you might miss it!! — Jenny J.
23. When you wake up your 6 year old and her friend to come watch a chick hatch. — Shelly F.
24. If Facebook has started “offering” you only chicken related ads — Jenny J.
25. When your coops are better decorated than some homes. — Jenny J.
26. Ask all your colleagues/friends for their leftovers at lunch because your chickens will come running when you get home. — Kathryn S.
27. You’re watching a YouTube on how to knit a chicken sweater because lil’hen is molting and it is supposed to drop below 30°. — Kathryn S.
28. If your coop has running water and your husband’s tool shed does not. — Beth T.
UPDATED 4/13/15 — I had to add one more to this list because in a matter of a week four different people (two I know personally, two Facebook fans) sent me this photo and said, “Saw this and thought of you!”
So, without further ado, #29. You might be a crazy chicken lady if both people you know and people you don’t know send you a photo of the shoes with chicken feet as the high heels because when they saw it they thought of you.